Sunday, May 29, 2005

Jesus part 2

"13When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"
14They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
15"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"
16Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ,[b] the Son of the living God."
17Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. " - Matthew 16




"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.'

That is one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of thing Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice.

Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." - CS Lewis

16 Comments:

At 4:25 AM, Blogger Jono said...

I find it interesting thay it is so easy for you to say that there is no truth in the bible when you obviously have not gone looking for any evidence..

What would it take for you to believe the bible is fact?

Eye witness accounts of the miracles of Jesus from the perspective of many people, including non-biblical historical documents from the Roman Empire?
Prophesies made hundreds of years before they happened? Statements written referring to scientific ideals centuries before science dicovered them?

If I told you that the element Lithium have 2000 electrons orbiting 3 protons and 4 neutrons then what would you do to dispute my statement? You would probably say that scientists discovered many years ago that Lithium in fact has only 3 electrons orbiting its nucleus. But how can you really know for sure? Have you ever see one atom of Lithium isolated by itself?? No, of course not. Why then, is it so hard for you to believe that the bible is truth?

You say that there is no proof of this but how do you really know? Of course if you were a scientist it is probably quite important that you know why there are only 3 electrons in Lithium and the information is there for you to find. Do you not think that the prospect of eternal life, free from pain and suffering, where you had everything you needed, is something worth investigating?

Would you really be happy spending 3+ years training at a university for a job that could last 40 years, to get you all the stuff you want even though it will only last until you are dead - or would you be happier spending a little time investigating this God thing, which could potentially give you everything you need, forever?

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Jono said...

Sorry about the length of that blog...

 
At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes truth is just generally accepted...do YOU actually KNOW that the world revolves around the sun? or have you just heard that it does by other people?
Do YOU believe helen clark is actually a female?ha?

i do.

 
At 2:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a direct question for Jakes,

Please clarify something for me.

Do you believe Jesus came as a man or
Jesus came as God?

Thanks.

 
At 3:19 AM, Blogger Jakes said...

Both.

Nah, jokes.

what do you mean? do you mean He had a choice?

On the surface I would say that Jesus was God - He (or God-the-Father) couldn't decide whether He was going to be God or not, He just was. He is primarily God, and has exsisted for all eternity. He came down in the form of a man, but He was God.

It has to be both?

What are you thinking Leitch?

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger Jakes said...

He is saving us from ourselves.

I think I disagree a little bit with Kate's wording - Jesus did not come down and die to understand us more, it just was an affirmation of what was already true, so we (as humans) can be secure in the knowledge that He truely does understand to us inside out.

But instead of understanding, the proper word (I guess) would be 'relate'.

Jesus came down (primary reason to provide opportunity for unity between God and us) to relate to us. I think that it was impossible for God to truely relate to us without experiencing what we go through Himself.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Jono said...

I think Rob is on the right track about God being all-knowing. He understands everything we go through...he has too (def. of all-knowing)

However, how convincing is it for someone to say "I know exactly how you feel" when they haven't experienced it themselves?

Maybe God came down to show us that it is possible to live a perfect life. While Jesus is God, he was still human, still tempted by the same things that tempt us today, he lived a life that was the perfect example for all of us.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Jono said...

oh, and rather that God coming down so that he can relate to us, maybe he came down so we could relate to Him???

And by saving us from ourselves I assume you mean from our sin. I think God is also saving us from satan and the evil powers and principalities that act to destroy us.

 
At 4:15 AM, Blogger Jono said...

Sorry, your right. Looking over my comments it looks like I am saying it is possible to live a perfect life. Youre right, as Christians we dont believe that it is possible to live a perfect life. But that doesnt mean we should stop trying to do what is right.

It really wasnt a point of huge importance...

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Jakes said...

First of all, God did not 'lower the bar'. God provided a scapegoat that had to pass over the bar in place of us (Jesus).

Big difference. Otherwise it's sounding like God's an idiot who doesn't know what He's doing. Which, according to you Robbie, is inconsistant with who God is.

Relate is different to Understand.

God does gain new experiences, experience is not knowledge. God experiences the glory given by His creation. If He could not experience, then He could not recieve the glory, and hence no point in creation.

JQ, I mean God is saving us from our sinful nature, which is fueled on by Satan.

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger Jono said...

big ups Jakes, i understand you.
good point about the whole experience thing - sounds right to me.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Jono said...

isnt there more to and experience than just knowing what it would feel like???

For example, you know that beer tastes really good, so if you know that it tastes good would you not drink it because you already know what it tastes like??

Love is another example. Someone can say that they love you a hundred times. But even one act that shows they love you is better than being told a hundred times.

I hope that makes sense.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Jono said...

I agree with the role model idea.

If your lecturer was a fantastic speaker and you really really enjoyed listening to them talk...would you still go? I think I would...

The more important part of the beer example is that drinking beer is enjoyable.. You know what it will taste like but you drink it because it tastes good (among other things...)

In the same way, I think that God wants to interact with us because he enjoys it, he knows it will be good...no-one likes to be alone. Throughout the bible He that He loves us and as we were made in His image, we can assume that he feels the same kind of rejection when we say, "stuff you God, I don't care about you, I don't even want to know you."

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Jakes said...

http://spaces.msn.com/members/leitch1/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c02_owner=1&_c=

go there - leitch is interesting

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Atheists all have this delusion that Christians know atheism is the truth, but they ignore it.

 
At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The truth is that many people are just ignorant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home