Change
Summers coming.
I'm wearing shorts for the second day in a row.
My deck is awesome. We've got a big deck and a little one. The little one is the one I'm talking about. Tiled, with an old tattered couch that Dad found at a inorganics. Summer sun and a good book. Currently reading two:
The Shaping of Things to Come - Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch
Velvet Elvis - Rob Bell
Both Christian books. The first is about a new church movement that confronts this "post-Christendom era" called 'Missional church', the second is also similar - all to do with the need for the face of Christianity to be constantly changing in order for it to effectively counter the culture it finds itself in.
I think a big problem with the church (Christians as a whole, and I can only speak for my part of New Zealand, although I do suspect it is a sample of the West) today is that they just don't seem to have anything to say to the world. Obviously I think they do, but this is far from being apparant.
This world of people needs something. Thousands of people crowd the city streets - all individuals, with individual needs and desires. From what I gather, people are looking for somewhere to belong, for something to give their life to, for someone to follow. And not just anywhere, anything, or anyone - people are looking for substance and meaning. And Christians aren't giving it to them! Post-modern humanity craves the elusive reality that we claim to have. But are we really any different to the world? To the untrained eye, we appear as merely a social club that meets together to sing songs, and has possibly fooled ourselves into half-believing somesort of eternity based insurance plan. I've heard it said by a few different people that the problem can't be in the message, but the messengers.
But what do we do?
What makes Christianity any different from 'Burning Man'?
Are all religions the same - wishful thinking?

If there really is a difference, if Jesus really is the way to get to the One True God, we Christians in the West should be incredibly concerned and put our lives on the line to tell others about it.
Also, if it really is true, why isn't God doing something about the fact that millions of people are dying without the knowledge of Him?

2 Comments:
"From what I gather, people are looking for somewhere to belong, for something to give their life to, for someone to follow. And not just anywhere, anything, or anyone - people are looking for substance and meaning."
I'm not sure I agree. I don't think people car anymore about that. Post - modernism has left a scar on the face of human belief that preaches that all searches for truth are futile. I think the world has given up on having people to follow, and looking for meaning. I think peoplejust live for themselves.
hey jake... i enjoy reading your thought provoking stuff on here. You should check out my blog... ramblingsofarandomcamel.blogspot.com It's liz from masters btw
Post a Comment
<< Home