The Meaning of Life
Yupp, u read right.
In a nutshell, I follow Socrates logic - the meaning of life in my opinion is to pursue truth. I'm pretty sure 'the fly' said something like that - help me out Pie.
Many people, as I have, have found this truth in 'religion'.
I believe that there is only one God and He sent His Son Jesus to die for our sins so we could be with Him and all that.
And so I try to do my best to follow His teachings, and live my life always in approval of God.
This is what I believe to be 'Truth', and I stick to this. Someone should kick me when I don't stick to it.
So I have respect for those who have researched, searched and found an answer to what they think truth is, and have stuck to this conclusion.
I also really respect those who are still searching.
In away maybe we are always searching, if not for a truth, but maybe within the truth we find.
I do not respect those who do not stick to their findings.
In saying this, I personally don't believe that there are multiple truths, but only one truth(as I have explained above).
Also, I don't think Truth is relative, it has to be unchanging from all perspectives.
A sign that Claire Cooper pointed out to me in photography states something like this -
"The moment an instant or a physical persective is recorded (unadulterated) on film, it no longer is fact, but it becomes an opinion"
So if something physical that is mechanically recorded/captured, for us to view, is not fact, then what is? The Greek historian Thucydides claimed that the body's ability to percieve things with it's senses was flawed, and so noone can ever see exactly the same thing.
If our physical bodies/the physical world hinder us from finding truth, then I come to the conclusion that there must be more to everything than just the physical, and that the truth must be in a 'spiritual' realm, which is why I think that people must turn to religion to find the answers.
Just my thoughts down on button and screen

3 Comments:
Pie, this is my understanding of stuff in regards to ur comment.
"have not yet discovered a religion that I completely agree with, or who's values suit me,"
I think that if u truely search for 'truth', then value's that are suitable to you don't come into it. You are searching for truth, not suitability/comfortability
Christianity is less common in places like India and Pakistan (although there are still christians there) because they are persecuted(punished) for what they believe, and missionaries are stopped from going there (according to my knowledge).
"I beleive that most christians, if placed in a different setting from birth, would not have become christians, but rather joined the religions that surrounded them. I'm sure some of these hindu's and muslims are never exposed to Christianity in their lives..... does this make them bad people and justify their not being saved in death?"
I agree with that-we are very affected by the environment we grow up in. If I did not grow up in a christian home, there's a good chance I wouldn't be one. (although due to my knowledge gained now.... It is my understanding that God is a just God, and that He lets everyone have the opportunity hear about Jesus etc, and He will judge those according to their knowledge of Him. If some Hindu due has not ever heard about Jesus, and has faithfully served their own God all their lives, then God will judge him (I guess) by his faithfullness to his own religion.
(christianity is spreading fast as in Russia, Asia, Africa, and is decreasing in europe, america etc)
got to go
I think what Pie meant was that he disagrees with the values (like all non believers burn for eternity) which is kind of fair enuf, if you dont think somethings fair you can hardly think its the truth. Unless you thought the truth was unfair, but the bible claims god is fair so believing in Christianity and believing that God is unfair is impossible (you cant think somethings the truth if its wrong).
From what i know about Christianity through mainly through Jacob and also the numerous alpha meetings etc... ive been to; If you have no knowledge of Christianity (eg born into an undiscovered african tribe or a completely muslim comunity) then god wont hold it against you,and you'll be judged on you life.
However having said that, most christains seem to think that without god you have no reason to act morally, so that complicates the issue. Of course then you might argue that therefore the only reason christains are moral is to get into heaven and not because they genuinly dont want other people to suffer, but then thats getting a bit off the point.
As far as other religions stoping Christain missionaries, i imagine Christians woul do the same if another satanic/flase god religion came over here (or maybe a better example would be America) and started converting too many people.
I mean what their doing is exactly the same as anyone here who is actively oppossing the civil union (that would include voting for the destiny church party). Their trying to force people into doing what they think is right/best for them.
Which is kind of why religion needs to be seperate from state. Also isnt NZ's govt seperate from religion? Theres alot of posts on staceys site www.orangespoon.blogspot.com from people who seem to think it isnt.
Yeah that was a cool post Pie, im pretty sure i agree with everything you said. Ive come to the same conclusion, but then still have a lot to learn (eg: about other faiths than Christianity) and im guna have to read about Socrates over te holidays, mmmmmm holidays.
Rob T
I've decided that sometime after exams I'm gonna post on how historically accurate/reliable the Bible is. Through what I've read and heard from different sources (alpha, friends that know stuff, the Bible dictionary, Jeff Vines etc), the Bible is the most reliable historical source in the world, (more reliable than Plato, Pie). But more on that later.
There have been a lot of misrepresentations in people sharing the news about Jesus over ages long. The idea shouldn't be to SCARE you into believing Christianity, and to save yourself from eternal damnation. Even though I do believe this damnation exsists, I personally am a Christian and follow Christian values not purely because I want to avoid Hell and am trying to get into Heaven, but I am doing my best to reflect the love that God and Jesus shared with me (as you can hopefully understand from 'The Passion') in appreciation.
Therefore, when I try to someone about how Jesus died for their sins so that we can live in a relationship with God (which is the ultimate thing in all of exsistance), I don't believe that using the 'idea' of Hell is an effective draw card, because that just often gets people angry. And even if they do become a follower of Jesus, it will most likely be through fear, and not through appreciation.
From 2 Corinthians Chapter 4:
1Therefore, since through God's mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart. 2Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.
From these verses, I understand that it is my duty to plainly tell others about what God has done, and it is then up to the individual to decide what to do. If they do not accept this, then it is between them and God.
So here it is:
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[1] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Whoever has questions about it, I do my best to be always available
Post a Comment
<< Home